Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday in October





It's Halloween time, as if you didn't already know. My favorite time of the year (well, throw Christmas in the mix). And I've got the Halloween spirit to boot. Like there are six glowing ghosts that welcome you into the front door as you walk up our deck. There are purple and orange lights twinkling to the max all around the front of my house and there are orange and black candles and candies GALORE once ye enter. I even decorated the bar at Cozmic over the last couple nights. Spider lights, candy corn, weird fake cobwebs (used semi-sparingly- geezus), skeleton stuff, especially vintage Halloween stuff, I LOVE YOU. These vintage photos are from a fabulous collection on Flickr named Halloween in the Time of Cholera by one Steve Martin. Here is a link to the 2008 set, you should totally check them out. There are 2009 and 2010 sets as well, he uploads one vintage photo per day in October. Halloween was so much less slutty back then. And so much more actually spooky! So much for our grandparents being so innocent back in the day. These costumes could scare the bones outta someone! But I think these old costumes are amazing, and genuine. I wish everything wasn't so corporate white-washed with brands and labels and emblems these days. It's like kids are walking billboards for Disney or Marvel instead of good old fashioned little spooks!




Anyways, I'm supposed to be writing a research paper, but...on a previous-self kick, I think I'll write a little list. Something like those that are cluttered and hidden into my various past diaries.


THINGS I REALLY REALLY LOVE

Halloween and halloween STUFF

Quaker Maple and Brown Sugar Instant Oatmeal packets ( I know, I know, hardly organic, but great for the REAL lazy morns) Anyways...especially after they are all made up and then there are still tiny lumps of the salty super-sweet brown sugar mix that occasionally makes a firework of goodness in your mouth

Coffee in a good solid inspiring mug

Having a wood stove rather than any other source of heat

My two perfectly kind cats, Grabby and Owl (AKA Ghost and Owl, Bub and the Girl, Bubber and Girlish, etc....)

My Iphone ( lame, but at least honest)

Raw garlic on almost everything, sliced thin

Hangtown Beerworks Mineshaft Stout (made by the newest brewer in town, a "nano" brewery, available at Cozmic Cafe currently. Absolutely smooth and drinkable and just delicious, especially for a stout. I hate to say it, but better than Guinness)

Tekkas and Negi Hamas

Haters beware. Brandon Flowers new solo album- Flamingo.

Having new bangs that quickly and effortlessly cover up the DESPISED AGING that's going on on my forehead. And it's not wrinkles dammit! (I wish Botox could fix this thing!!!) It's this disgusting condition that makes you look like you have dirt spots on your face, called melasma. Thank God for a quick whisp of bangs!

The idea of a solo road trip that I will be embarking on next Friday toward Bend Oregon and Walla Walla Washington.

Old antique medicine bottles, pill cases, or just bottles in general. Like the ones below which we discovered in shelves at the most AMAZING museum in Independence, California. If you ever get to Highway 395, you HAVE GOT to stop here. It's right around the corner from Mary Austin's old house. It's an old fashioned, you-can-pretty-much-touch-things kind of museum. There is stuff here that most museums would have behind two layers of bullet proof glass, but instead it's pretty much out for perusal. I visited the area for my birthday road trip this year.



s

3 comments:

moonshinejunkyard said...

rad. rad. rad. i love the halloween photos. i love the real life true little teeny spooky. i want to wear flour bags in my old fashioned smock for a halloween costumes. homemade costumes rule! honey i think it is the sweetest that you love to decorate for halloween...i am going up in my attic RIGHT NOW to get down my box. let's hope i don't run into any half-dead rats, ugh!!! anyway you make me want to make my own things i love list. i used to do those all the time in my sark days. LOVE YOU HONEY!

AdieSpringB said...

Yuppers. It was my own cheesy 1996 notebooks that inspired me for making the list thing! I read like 15 lists in one notebook alone last night.
Oh the blog I WOULD HAVE HAD THEN if they'd had blogs then!
(then again thank god they didn't exist yet, because the stuff I wrote back then I would be mortified for anyone to read now, much less remember me by!) That's the thing about the internet. It doesn't let you escape your past NEARLY as easily as a dusty old diary hidden in the closet does!

ashley said...

Adie! I love knowing that we are enjoying the same exact breakfast these days! Hot coffee and hot waytoosweet but delicious maple and brown sugar oatmeal with a hot cup o' joe! And I love that you are still into the spookiness of halloween. I think last year finally got me down, feeling frumpy around all the cutie costumes.